Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fan Copies Entire Harry Potter Book by Hand


Uh oh. Sounds like something that could get you sued for copyright infringement! A girl in Moldova spent a month copying the latest Harry Potter book out by hand, now that's a serious fan.

Sandra Luchian, 15, from Moldova, borrowed a copy of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince from a friend and wrote down the story word for word. The book isn't available to buy in Moldova, and her family couldn't afford to get the book sent over from the UK. So Sandra filled five notebooks with Harry's latest wizard adventures so she could add the book to her collection.
The Beeb -- Potter fan copies out whole book

I know this is random but I just heard this girl interviewed on The World (an NPR show). I've written to The World to request the girl's address so that I could send her a new copy of the book, plus perhaps the final Harry Potter book when it comes out. Hopefully they can provide it (although I do suspect they'll get a zillion such requests). I'll let you know what happens, hopefully they'll respond in two days or so.

***Update -- The World, which a BBC show on NPR, is going to forward the book to Ms. Luchian for me along with a note from me. Thanks to the Beeb for helping me to help her!

***Update 10/20/05 -- Sandra got the book and wrote me. Very cool! :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Remus Lupin said...

Well now that is a Real Harry Potter fan there!

9/28/2005 2:49 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Harry Potter Sucks, but you're really a nice guy..... Whats with this word typing verification?

9/29/2005 6:20 PM  
Blogger Chris Cohen said...

So the latest news is that The World contacted Ms. Luchian, who was happy to accept my offer. I've since sent a new hardback copy of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (and a note from me) to The World in Boston and they will be sending it on to Ms. Luchian.

As for Harry Potter, I honestly haven't read them, but I did see one of the films. It was pretty cool. I was originally attracted to Ms. Lucian's story merely due to the humorous thought that she could be sued for copying the book, but in the interview she sounded like a pretty cool kid so I figured maybe I could do her a favor.

I'm hoping she writes back and I'm looking forward to hearing from her.

You can hear her interview with The World here (go down the page and click on the "Geo Answer" link).

10/02/2005 12:18 AM  
Blogger Chris Cohen said...

The word verification feature keeps my blog from filling up with comment spam, which was a problem for this blog in the past.

10/02/2005 12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool. I enjoy the movies as well.

11/10/2005 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares < ? law blogs # > Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory